More terrifying than the Bogeyman, more destructive than Freddy Krueger – is what toxic ingredients may be lurking in your cosmetics.
Researchers have found that one in eight ingredients used in cosmetic and personal care products are made from hazardous industrial chemicals. These toxic ingredients in cosmetics are pesticides, degreasers, and surfactants.
But don’t hide under the covers just yet.
It’s not too late to clean house and ensure a healthier tomorrow. First thing’s first, you need to know what’s toxic and what you can keep. Let’s go over the main villains lurking in cosmetics that you may have in your bathroom cupboard.
The “Dirty Dozen” Toxic Ingredients in Cosmetics
- Used in: make-up, moisturizers, shampoos, etc.
- Side effects: disrupting hormone function, associated with breast cancer, skin aging, and DNA damage.
- Petrolatum (petroleum jelly)
- Used in: lip and hair products
- Side effects: cancer, skin allergies and irritation.
- DEA (cocamide, lauramide)
- Used in: Creamy and foaming products like sunscreens and soaps.
- Side effects: Aid cancer-causing nitrosamines in skin and thyroid, skin irritations, eye problems, liver cancer (in high dosage).
- Synthetic Fragrance
- Used in: perfume, shampoo, etc. (even if marked unscented).
- Side effects: allergies, asthma, and cancer.
- BHA and BHT
- Used in: lipsticks and moisturizers to preserve
- Side effects: cancer, skin allergies, hormone problems, liver, thyroid, and kidney issues (in high dosage)
- Used in: hair products and moisturizers
- Side effect: cancer
- SLS and SLES
- Used in: foaming products
- Side effects: cancer, liver damage, skin, eye and respiratory allergies, depression, difficulty breathing, and diarrhea.
- Retinyl Palmitate and Oxybenzone
- Used in: sunscreens
- Side effects: inflammation, skin effects, allergies, cancer, and tumors.
- Mineral Oil
- Used in: baby oil and lotion.
- Side effects: skin unable to eliminate toxins, acne, cancer, premature aging, liver functionality, and weakened immune system.
- Used in: baby powders, face powders, etc.
- Side effects: ovarian cancer, respiratory disorders and lung cancer (if inhaled),
- Used in: highest levels in lipsticks
- Side effects: cancer, reproductive and development disorders, neurological problems, memory loss, mood swings, headaches, vomiting, muscle disorders, weakened immune system, hair loss.
- Used in: lip gloss, lip liner, eye liner, mascara, eye shadow, anti-wrinkle products, etc.
- Side effects: irritability, tremors, vision or hearing changes, memory loss, depression, and numbness (when accumulated in the body over time).
Why I Pick Perfectly Posh – Natural Makeup Products
As you can see there are a lot of terrifying, toxic ingredients in cosmetics with very little regulation. Because of my personal story, I’ve been a huge advocate of the Perfectly Posh brand that only uses the best ingredients on earth.
When you look at their labels, you’ll see only natural ingredients that you can recognize (butters, fruits, and flowers) and essential oils.
They stay away from controversial fillers and ingredients, and offer many vegan options.
POSH LIFE Body Powder $7
POUT ABOUT IT Lip Gloss $6
BFF: Best Friends Face Wash $21
NEVER GROW UP Face Creme $24
If what’s in your bathroom is keeping you up at night, it might be time to explore other cosmetic options like Posh. Just try a free sample and feel the difference. Your body will thank you. As always, let me know if you need any assistance – I’m always here to help.